This high nutrient smoothie is a fantastic way to start the day!
- Spinach is high in antioxidants and is an excellent source of magnesium and iron. this vegetable is also known for it’s anti-inflammatory benefits. Make sure you vary up your greens in this smoothie each week so that your body gets a variety of nutrients over the long term. Other nutritious greens include, chard, collards, dandelion, kale, beet greens and mustard greens.
- Hemp seeds and avocado are a source of healthy fats that will help to keep you satiated throughout the morning.
- Spirulina has a high protein and vitamin content and contains antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits. Studies have shown that spirulina reduces exercise induced oxidative stress, may reduce toxic load of heavy metals, and improves immune function.
Supergreen Breakfast Smoothie
- 1 cup roughly chopped spinach
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 avocado
- 1 green apple cored and cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped parsley
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp chopped ginger
- 1/2 tsp spirulina
- 1 cup filtered water
Place all ingredients in a high-speed blender and blend until smooth.
If you are new to green smoothies and need some extra sweetness, add in another piece of fruit: apple, banana, pineapple, kiwi (something that won't change the beautiful green colour!).
If you would like to make this smoothie a complete breakfast, add in 1 Tbsp of coconut oil and 1 Tbsp nut or seed butter.
If you do not have a powerful blender, chop your vegetables into smaller pieces before blending.